Monday 8 October 2012

Marrow chutney

We've got lots and lots of marrows at the moment, the pigs and chickens are enjoying them but I think they are even nicer made into this delicious chutney. It goes particularly well with cold meat. It does take quite a long time to make, 3-4 hours on my aga, but is well worth it.
My mother-in-law gave me the recipe, I don't know where she got it from.

6lbs peeled, cored and chopped marrow
2lb sultanas
1/2 lb ginger
3 pt vinegar
3 1/2 lb gran. sugar
1oz salt (this is what the recipe says - I used 1tsp)
1tsp allspice

Mix the vinegar, sugar and spices in a preserving pan and bring to the boil. Add the marrow and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the ginger and sultanas and simmer until thick, stirring frequently. Poor into sterilised jars, making sure to use vinegar proof lids.

The first time I tried this recipe I used soft brown sugar and cooked it all for far too long. I had read somewhere that chutney was ready when you could see the bottom of the pan in the track left by wooden spoon dragged through the mixture - but the resulting chutney could only be described as tar like and the brown sugar tasted too strongly of caramel.

Apparently the recipe can also be used for apples instead of marrows, but I haven't tried it yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment